Install grub on nvdia dmraid10 ?

Joerg Mertin smurphy at solsys.org
Tue Sep 5 07:49:08 UTC 2006

I Had written a FAQ for this specific case. It was meant for standard
Software Raid - but can be IMHO superposed to DM_Raid without a problem.
Check out:
http://www.solsys.org/mod.php?mod=faq&op=match&display_order=section&section=Linux&display_option=expand#96

It is rather a how can I boot from the second Drive of a SATA Raid-1
system - but ithas some explanations that are required to understand the
setup.

Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> Hi,
>> has anyone successfully installed grub on a nvidia dmraid10 ?
>>
>> I have a setup of 4 160GB disks configured through bios to do raid10,
>> made the partitions under WinXP with Partition Magic and I can access
>> the /dev/mapper/nvidia_* partitions just fine from a livecd as they are
>> correctly identified with dmraid -ay...
>
> afaik, grub doesn't know how to determine which dm devices map back to
> BIOS devices.  You can manually set up a mapping in the grub shell:
>
> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/blah
>
> ...though you'll want to specify the device's BIOS geometry via "dmsetup
> setgeometry c h s" first.  At some point I'll patch dmraid to do this
> automatically (unless someone beats me to it ;)).
>
> Note that for an installed system you can put "(hd0) /dev/mapper/blah"
> in /boot/grub/device.map.
>
> --D

| Joerg Mertin              :  smurphy at solsys.org                (Home)|
| in Forchheim/Germany      :  smurphy at linux.de                  (Alt1)|
| Stardust's LiNUX System   :                                          |
| Web: http://www.solsys.org                                           |