dmraid: ULI-Raid1 support?

ted creedon tcreedon at easystreet.com
Sat Sep 16 14:51:47 UTC 2006

I had posted an earlier message stating that the NVidia raid controller was
linux compatible.

Well it isn't.

While the bios setup raid arrays SHOULD look like a single device per array
they actually still appear as individual devices.

Since the manufacturers either explicitly don't support linux or provide
very little support (i.e. moving from 2.4 to 2.6 linux sabotaged all my raid
arrays), my opinion is that any reliance on unsupported software has long
term maintainability issues.

I have decided to disable all on board raid controllers and just use the
SATA interfaces as single dmraid drives.

This also provides the ability to move disk arrays around to other linux
boxes without having to worry about what controllers to use.

I think embedded raid is really useless because support is spotty and there
is no compatibility standard.

The raid manufacturers really need to go out of business.

Tedc