dmraid: ULI-Raid1 support?

Roman v. Gemmeren lists at HasNoName.de
Sat Sep 16 15:33:32 UTC 2006

Hallo ted,

Am Saturday, September 16, 2006, 4:51:47 PM, schrieben Sie:

thx for the reply, i had the raid working under nforce4 with dmraid just fine, but
the board crashed, thats why i'm stuck with this new board now..

As far as i know most of the onboard Raid Controllers are just some
coverup for a software raid, since you need the drivers (e.g. for
winxp).

I can use both sata drives fine, but not as raid, because no driver
AND not (yet) supported by dmraid.

The dmraid-site told me to post to this list. I would be willing to
test and provide as much assistance as possible.

However, i will continue trying to bug the Asus support, until i get a
definitive answer... at least now (after ~3 weeks and 3 requests) i
got an response about the issue with registering my mainboard...;\

> I had posted an earlier message stating that the NVidia raid controller was
> linux compatible.

> Well it isn't.

> While the bios setup raid arrays SHOULD look like a single device per array
> they actually still appear as individual devices.

> Since the manufacturers either explicitly don't support linux or provide
> very little support (i.e. moving from 2.4 to 2.6 linux sabotaged all my raid
> arrays), my opinion is that any reliance on unsupported software has long
> term maintainability issues.

> I have decided to disable all on board raid controllers and just use the
> SATA interfaces as single dmraid drives.

> This also provides the ability to move disk arrays around to other linux
> boxes without having to worry about what controllers to use.

> I think embedded raid is really useless because support is spotty and there
> is no compatibility standard.

> The raid manufacturers really need to go out of business.

> Tedc

greets,
        Roman v. Gemmeren

--