dmraid: ULI-Raid1 support?

Heinz Mauelshagen mauelshagen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 13:59:56 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 05:33:32PM +0200, Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> Hallo ted,
>
> Am Saturday, September 16, 2006, 4:51:47 PM, schrieben Sie:
>
> thx for the reply, i had the raid working under nforce4 with dmraid just fine, but
> the board crashed, thats why i'm stuck with this new board now..
>
> As far as i know most of the onboard Raid Controllers are just some
> coverup for a software raid, since you need the drivers (e.g. for
> winxp).

Yes.

> I can use both sata drives fine, but not as raid, because no driver
> AND not (yet) supported by dmraid.
>
> The dmraid-site told me to post to this list. I would be willing to
> test and provide as much assistance as possible.
>
> However, i will continue trying to bug the Asus support, until i get a
> definitive answer... at least now (after ~3 weeks and 3 requests) i
> got an response about the issue with registering my mainboard...;\

Hrm, I'ld better have the metadata specs to make a dmraid
ULI metadata format handler happen.

Regards,
Heinz

> > I had posted an earlier message stating that the NVidia raid controller was
> > linux compatible.
>
> > Well it isn't.
>
> > While the bios setup raid arrays SHOULD look like a single device per array
> > they actually still appear as individual devices.
>
> > Since the manufacturers either explicitly don't support linux or provide
> > very little support (i.e. moving from 2.4 to 2.6 linux sabotaged all my raid
> > arrays), my opinion is that any reliance on unsupported software has long
> > term maintainability issues.
>
> > I have decided to disable all on board raid controllers and just use the
> > SATA interfaces as single dmraid drives.
>
> > This also provides the ability to move disk arrays around to other linux
> > boxes without having to worry about what controllers to use.
>
> > I think embedded raid is really useless because support is spotty and there
> > is no compatibility standard.
>
> > The raid manufacturers really need to go out of business.
>
> > Tedc

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Red Hat GmbH
Consulting Development Engineer                   Am Sonnenhang 11
Storage Development                               56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at RedHat.com                            PHONE +49  171 7803392
                                                  FAX   +49 2626 924446