dm-raid vs md-raid

Anthony Wright anthony at communitymesh.com
Sun Sep 24 19:26:43 UTC 2006

I apologise for being thick, but I trying to understand the difference
between dm-raid and md-raid. Do these projects overlap, or do they
address separate problems in the same area?

Some of the information I've looked at suggests they implement similar
RAID functionality in different ways, while others seem to suggest that
dm-raid supports RAID functionality provided by device manufactures
while md-raid implements the RAID functionality internally. I'm getting
really confused, and can't find anything that explains the difference.
 From what I've read about dm-raid the concept of maintaining a log of
changes and being able to catch up the changes rather than having to do
a full disk rebuild sounds very attractive, and I've also seen it
mentioned in relation to Clustered LVM which again is attractive.

The architecture I'm trying to build looks something like (improvements
gladly accepted):

Clustered File System (GFS, OCFS2)

Clustered LVM

Clustered RAID (dm-raid ?)

Networked Disk (GNBD, NBD, AoE)

The aim being to build a fault tolerant, clustered file system where I
can add a machine to increase file system performance, I can add disks
to increase storage space, and the whole system can continue to operate
if a disk or machine fails (assuming you've correctly configured your RAID).

Thanks,

Tony Wright