dm-raid vs md-raid

Anthony Wright anthony at communitymesh.com
Tue Sep 26 08:48:20 UTC 2006

Does that mean dm-raid can only be used in conjunction with a fake-raid
controller, or can it be used with any hard disk? When you say its not
well supported, do you mean it's not as mature, it doesn't support many
controllers or not many people can help you if you have a problem?

 From Ted's comment, am I to understand that with md-raid the format of
data stored on the disk is affected by the motherboard, so after an
upgrade I risk being unable to access data on an md-raid array?

I'm really interested in the whole area of networked disks, particularly
AoE (ATA over Ethernet). I understand that with md-raid if I disconnect
the network cable between the machine doing the raid, and the networked
disk the driver has only the option of pausing all IO which stops all IO
on the array, or telling md-raid that the disk has failed in which case
it will be removed from the array, and require a full rebuild when it's
added back into the array. Does dm-raid's log functionality offer a
third option, allowing the driver to say the disk has gone, but it'll
probably be back shortly, so work as a degraded array for a while replay
the writes when the disk is reconnected?

The reason I'm interested in is for use with Xen virtual servers which
can be moved from one physical machine to another while they are still
running (10ms-100ms interruption). However disks add a whole new level
of complexity to that, particularly if you want RAID disks. What I was
thinking about was having AoE networked disks on both physical machines
with dm-raid running on the virtual server. If the virtual server is
running on physical machine 1 and I need to work on physical machine 2,
I can turn it off and when it gets turned back on the AoE disk
reconnects and dm-raid replays the missed writes from it's log. If I
need to work on physical machine 1, I can move the virtual server to
physical machine 2, and now I can work on physical machine 1 in a
similar way, all the time with no interruption to the virtual server.
This however relies on the ability to replay a small set of changes
rather than having to rebuild the disk each time.

Thanks,

Tony Wright.