dmraid and Adaptec 1210SA

Hello,

I've having trouble getting my new Adaptec card working in linux. I have installed the card, attached two blank drives, which I want to use in a RAID 1 mirror. (sda & sdb)

I have been rather dissapointed to discover this is not a real RAID card but mostly software RAID, and the tool I should use is dmraid. The supplied linux driver is useless as it's a ".o" not a ".ko".

I have setup the array in the HostRAID BIOS using the "build" option, even though the drives are blank.

The array did appear at this stage, but only on one drive in a degraded state.

I keep getting repeated messages from dmraid stating:
"ERROR: asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum (0xF36 vs. 0x805) on /dev/sda"

however google has no info on this error.

diag using dmraid returned the following:

root Knoppix:~# dmraid -vvv -r /dev/sda
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdd
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
NOTICE: /dev/sda: asr     discovering
NOTICE: asr: reading extended data on /dev/sda
ERROR: asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum (0xF36 vs. 0x805) on /dev/sda
NOTICE: /dev/sda: ddf1    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt37x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt45x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: isw     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: jmicron discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: lsi     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: nvidia  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: sil     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via     discovering
No RAID disks and with names: "/dev/sda"
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

root Knoppix:~# dmraid -vvv -r /dev/sdb
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdd
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: asr     discovering
NOTICE: asr: reading extended data on /dev/sdb
ERROR: asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum (0xF36 vs. 0x805) on /dev/sdb
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: ddf1    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt37x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt45x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: isw     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: jmicron discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: lsi     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: nvidia  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc metadata discovered
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: sil     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via     discovering
INFO: RAID device discovered:

/dev/sdb: pdc, "pdc_jhegfcbhh", mirror, ok, 396484375 sectors, data@ 0
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

I then tried building the array again in the Adaptec BIOS, this time using the CLEAR array option. The BIOS shows the array status as "OPTIMAL". However now neither drive appears to be in the raid set:

root Knoppix:~# dmraid -vvv -r /dev/sda
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdd
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
NOTICE: /dev/sda: asr     discovering
NOTICE: asr: reading extended data on /dev/sda
ERROR: asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum (0xE11 vs. 0x805) on /dev/sda
NOTICE: /dev/sda: ddf1    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt37x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt45x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: isw     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: jmicron discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: lsi     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: nvidia  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: sil     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via     discovering
No RAID disks and with names: "/dev/sda"
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

root Knoppix:~# dmraid -vvv -r /dev/sdb
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdd
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: asr     discovering
NOTICE: asr: reading extended data on /dev/sdb
ERROR: asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum (0xE11 vs. 0x805) on /dev/sdb
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: ddf1    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt37x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt45x  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: isw     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: jmicron discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: lsi     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: nvidia  discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: sil     discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via     discovering
No RAID disks and with names: "/dev/sdb"
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

Anyone got any ideas what on earth is wrong?

Additional info:
root Knoppix:~# dmraid -V
dmraid version:         1.0.0.rc13 (2006.10.11)
dmraid library version: 1.0.0.rc13 (2006.10.11)
device-mapper version:  4.10.0

Linux Knoppix 2.6.19 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

Stephen