DMRAID+Intel P35 (ICH9R)

Heinz Mauelshagen mauelshagen at redhat.com
Sat Jul 14 09:12:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 03:11:09PM +0200, Piotr Brostovski, Levigo Systems wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm stuck with a problem which is related to the combination of the new
> Intel ChipSet P35 on the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R and Linux (Ubuntu 7.04
> Feisty Fawn).
> I try to find the information how DMRAID stores its Raidinformation -
> and where.

See description of dmraid(8).
Various metadata formats are supported (dmraid -l).
Such vendord specific metadata typically sits at the end of each componet
device in a RAID set and is vendor specific.
If you are interested in details, look at the .h files below lib/format/
in the dmraid source tree.

> The DMRAID man page sadly don't say anything about it how DMRAID works
> and google finds a lot - but not what I'm exactly looking for ....
> So i try it with this E-Mail ;)
>
> The Problem is, with the Intel P35 system and Linux my raidarray get
> broken. And i don't know if DMRAID writes anything on the disks?

Not yet.
Enhancements to so in order to eg. replace a broken mirror member,
are in the works.

> All partitions are read-only mounted - or even not mounted at all -
> still the raid get corrupted.
>
> With the nForce Chipsets for AMD CPUs dmraid always worked perfectly
> (except the bug with an old DMRaid Version, but after compiling DMRaid
> 1.0-RC13 everything just run fine) but with the Intel Chipset i even
> can't say what exactly is the problem ...

Might be a flaw in the isw metadata format handler.
Send your metadata to me for investigation please.

> It could be possible that it is a hardware fault, but I'm not sure about
> it because with Windows everything seems to work fine.

Well, sounds like a bug in the isw code...

--

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Red Hat GmbH
Consulting Development Engineer                   Am Sonnenhang 11
Storage Development                               56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at RedHat.com                            PHONE +49  171 7803392
                                                  FAX   +49 2626 924446