dmraid support for hotswapping and intel ich7

Nico Kist nico at kist.nl
Mon May 21 11:31:18 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the great work done on dmraid. It looks
like a great solution for my problem, I'm just not quite about one
feature. My plan is to use dmraid with my ich7 raid chip for backup
purposes (RAID-1). I want to take a mirrored disk out every week, and
store it up offsite, and put a new (possibly blank) disk in.

I'm hoping I could use dmraid instead of mdraid because it actually
mirrors the whole disk, not just selected partitions.

I do have a number of questions however, primarily, does dmraid
support hotswap? This is rather important to me. Another thing I'm
wondering about is if it's possible to just insert a blank disk into a
degraded array and have it automatically start mirroring the disk?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies,

Nico Kist