asr: Invalid magic number in RAID table; saw 0x0, expected 0x900765C4 on sdb

Darrick J. Wong djwong at us.ibm.com
Tue May 29 23:13:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 05:23:05PM -0400, David Rice wrote:
> I am trying to help a user who is getting the above error message. Can
> someone take a look at this?
>
> They have posted a dump of the metadata in the forums as well as various
> commands.

The message indicates that the asr (Adaptec HostRAID) driver in dmraid
can't find a HostRAID RAID header on the disk.  This is a benign error
during RAID device discovery, though I concede that the error message is
not clear about that.  In any case, the user's machine uses
/dev/mapper/isw_blahblahblah, which indicates that his system is really
using Intel Software RAID, so the error message is not what's causing
his problem.

(I believe the follow-up postings on that URL about dm locking down the
disk partitions being the reason why he can't mount /dev/sdXY are
correct, though I don't use bleeding-edge Ubuntus. :))

--D