[dm-devel] - info about dm

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 21:15:56 UTC 2007

Luca Berra wrote:
>> Anyway, I found a little problematic configuring it manually: I tried to
>> install SL5 on a node which was misconfigured: instead of seeing one
>> device, it was managing the 2 HD (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) as 2 separate

This is as expected.  The hardware is just a sata controller with two
disks attached, so that is what the kernel sees.  dmraid is used to
recognize the bios information on the disk and configure the device
mapper driver to create a raid virtual device.

>> devices an if I tried to configure them (at install time, via CD or
>> network boot) with  DM, I got many errors about the RAID table (“ERROR:
>> asr: Invalid RAID config table checksum on /dev/sda” or even “asr:
>> Invalid magic number in RAID table; saw 0x0 expected…”). I tried to
>> reconfigure the RAID card first via BIOS and then trying again to
>> configure it via Linux (“dmsetup create …”) but even if it seemed

dmsetup create creates a new dm device.  Generally this command is for
debugging and testing, so you should not use it.  It has nothing to do
with dmraid other than they are both clients of the device mapper kernel
driver.

>> working (exit code 0), then querying the device asr_ (i.e. “dmraid –r”)
>> resulted in errors as reported above…or better, dmraid commands (-r,
>> -ay, -tay,…) reported errors, while dmsetup commands  (status, ls,…)

What where the exact commands and errors the generated?

I am also confused because the first thing you said was that the system
DID correctly recognize the raid array as /dev/mapper/asr_xxxx.

>> 2) Managing disks
>> I configured disks in RAID 1 (mirror) but I wonder how to manage this
>> RAID; in particular, how can I do for:
>> - stopping a device (disk) and put it offline/and viceversa? -
>> reconfiguring/rebuilding it (due to broken/faulting HD)?
>> At the moment I should change a couple of disks (SMARTD warnings
>> reported), but I’m scared about the “RAID table error”…

Currently the only way is to do so in the bios.  Some systems the bios
will begin rebuilding when you tell it to, and you need to wait for it
to finish.  On others, it only marks the disk as needing rebuilt and
relies on the windows driver to do the rebuilding.  Currently dmraid
does not perform rebuilding.