Packages for setting up and testing dmraid eventing

Wood, Brian J brian.j.wood at intel.com
Tue Nov 20 17:34:44 UTC 2007

Hi Heinz (and list),

I've got some interesting things for you to look at if you have time :)

I've made a number of packages for processing events in dmraid. It's
still in its initial stages, but I think it's a start for what we
discussed all those many month's ago.

There are four main pieces:
	The DSO
	A DSO registration utility
	A guide for setting up raid event monitoring using dmeventd (a
start-to-finish kind of guide).
	And a Logwatch setup guide for processing the events that are
stored into syslog (so a system admin can process the syslog to email
alerts for example).

The DSO will be registered with dmeventd and used to process device
mapper raid 0, raid 1, and raid 4/5 events. At the moment the DSO just
processes raid 1 since it's the only one generating events with Jonathan
Brassow's patches (the 2.6.23 versions are attached here; I just got the
2.6.24-rc3 compatible ones yesterday). Right now I'm working on adding
the eventing capability to the raid 0 kernel driver and then will work
on it's section of the DSO. After that I'll tackle the raid4/5 portion
of the DSO once your kernel patch is modified to work with the latest
testing kernel.

I wanted to find out your opinion as to where we would want to have this
eventually live when it's finished? Do you think this would be a dmraid
specific addition? For the DSO I would say that this is dmraid specific,
but the DSO registration utility could be packaged with either userspace
tool set (dmraid or dmsetup/dmeventd). I was thinking it might be useful
for LVM users? I have built a "-m" command option that will dump a lot
of useful information about all of dmeventds monitored devices (the
number of events against a device, the actual identifiable underlying
hardware devices like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc...). For the next release
I want to add giving a specific device name with the "-m" option to just
dump a specific devices info (but that had to get pushed back since I
had to get working on the kernel drivers and enhancing the DSO).

I'm hoping this will be something users in the community like. At the
moment I don't have a forward facing website to post these materials to
and the mailing list won't accept this large of an email with the
attachments. Heinz do you think once you give it a look we could post
them on your Redhat page? If not I guess I could just email them to
users that are interested.

Thanks,

Brian Wood
Software Engineer
Intel Corp., Manageability & Platform Software Division
brian.j.wood at intel.com