dmraid rebuild status

Anthony Symons ant at skunkworks.net.au
Tue Nov 6 06:05:15 UTC 2007

Hi List,

Ive seen in the archives that as of august 2007 dmraid lacks the ability
to rebuild a drive, and still seems to.

We have the situation that we have several new systems that will live in
a hosting room a very long way away. They have intel sata raid disks,
and we are running RHEL 5.

dmraid seems to be a tidier implementation than regular linux software
raid due to the mirror existing at boot time, and grub only needing to
be configured once, as well as only requiring one disk of a mirror and
not in any particular slot to boot.

Is it possible to get an update on how the rebuild process development
is going? We need to decide if we should ship with dmraid and hope it
has the ability to rebuild a disk before 2 of them fail, or if we should
look at other solutions.

Thanks,
Anthony