Intel ICH9R Raid5 supported?

Hall, Eric R eric.r.hall at intel.com
Mon Jan 28 20:04:09 UTC 2008

Daniel -

Keep in mind that dm-raid4-5 is still considered 'experimental.'

Raid5 would work fine in a home environment as long as you do not plan on rebuilding after a failure [at the moment].  Since the dm-raid4-5 patch is still considered experimental, you should weight your risks of data loss.

I have tested Heinz's dm-raid4-5 patch on several ICH systems and have had good success with it; even after pulling a drive out to simulate a failure.  If a failure would occur, you would have the opportunity to back-up the data before the set completely failed.

Raid5 rebuild functionality isn't quite here yet.  But it will be!  Everyone is still working hard to update dmraid to rebuild failed sets.

- Eric