Install problem w. RocketRaid 1720.

Richard Creighton ricreig at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 21:03:21 UTC 2008

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed two sata II disks via a RocketRaid 1720 controller.
> They run Fedora 7 in a hardware raid1 configuration. I have
> experienced certain problems wich seems to be related to kernel
> 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7, see bugzilla issue 240982.
>
> The driver from hightech only works with this kernel and the socalled
> open source driver compiles with errors. This is too much of a pita so
> I would prefer to skip the proprietary driver and run software raid1
> instead.
>
> First of all I would like to know if linux supports drivers for
> RocketRaid 1720? Secondly, is it possible to convert the hardware
> raid1 to software raid1 (dmraid) without touching the already running
> OS? Or do I have to create a new system from scratch?

I had the same problem with a RR1740x controller with that kernel.   I
was able to successfully compile the driver when I upgraded the kernel
to 2.6.22.... being sure to get the correct syms.   Since then, I've
been able to run the controller just fine.   My problems started with
 >2.6.18.... until .22+   It is continuing to work with .17 and .25 in
the alpha 11 of SuSE.   It is a pita, to be sure, but I am no happily
running a 2.5TB raid5 with that controller under SuSE 10.3.

As to conversion:   I suspect that it is a real PITA to try.   The
formats are entirely different and you have to have a small boot
partition in order to load the drivers for the software raid.   I tried
and gave up on that idea, at least until RR decides to actually support
their controllers under Linux the way they do for Microsloth.

I suspect the 172x controller will play out the same way as the 174x
controller did as I believe they use the same chipset, the main
difference being how they handle the physical interface, eg, number of
ports, etc.

Once I got the RR1740x to compile under Linux with a less buggy kernel,
I have had zero problems with the card other than lack of any real
support, though the driver source did not need modifications once the
kernel issues were resolved.

Richard