Support for multiple logical devices on single physical

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 28 16:12:26 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Heinz Mauelshagen <mauelshagen at redhat.com> said:
> the promise metadata format handler in dmraid doesn't support multiple
> RAID sets on the same RAID devices.  I don't have evidence so far, that
> there's a Promise extension supporting such.
>
> Please send me your metadata created with "dmraid -rD" (i.e. files
> *.{dat,offset,size}) tar'ed/bzip2'ed in pdc-Chris_Adams-multi.tar.bz2
> and I'll see if it's possible to add multi set support for pdc to dmraid.

Hmm, that's probably not going to be too useful.  For some reason, I get
0 byte .dat files (I tried dmraid from Fedora Core 6, and then I just
updated to dmraid from Fedora rawhide to see if that helped, but I got
the same thing).

Here's what I get:

# dmraid -rD
/dev/sda: pdc, "pdc_bacdae", mirror, ok, 585941248 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdb: pdc, "pdc_bacdae", mirror, ok, 585941248 sectors, data@ 0
# ls -l
total 40
-rw------- 1 root root  0 Mar 28 10:47 sda_pdc.dat
-rw------- 1 root root  2 Mar 28 10:47 sda_pdc.offset
-rw------- 1 root root 10 Mar 28 10:47 sda_pdc.size
-rw------- 1 root root  0 Mar 28 10:47 sdb_pdc.dat
-rw------- 1 root root  2 Mar 28 10:47 sdb_pdc.offset
-rw------- 1 root root 10 Mar 28 10:47 sdb_pdc.size

The .offset files both have "0".  The .size files have:

sda_pdc.size:586072368
sdb_pdc.size:625142448

I suspect you would be most interested in the .dat files (or what should
be in them) though.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>