Install problem w. RocketRaid 1720.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 00:02:06 UTC 2008

Richard Creighton wrote:
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed two sata II disks via a RocketRaid 1720 controller.
>> They run Fedora 7 in a hardware raid1 configuration. I have
>> experienced certain problems wich seems to be related to kernel
>> 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7, see bugzilla issue 240982.
>>
>> The driver from hightech only works with this kernel and the socalled
>> open source driver compiles with errors. This is too much of a pita so
>> I would prefer to skip the proprietary driver and run software raid1
>> instead.
>>
>> First of all I would like to know if linux supports drivers for
>> RocketRaid 1720? Secondly, is it possible to convert the hardware
>> raid1 to software raid1 (dmraid) without touching the already running
>> OS? Or do I have to create a new system from scratch?
>>
> I had the same problem with a RR1740x controller with that kernel.   I
> was able to successfully compile the driver when I upgraded the kernel
> to 2.6.22.... being sure to get the correct syms.   Since then, I've
> been able to run the controller just fine.   My problems started with
>  >2.6.18.... until .22+   It is continuing to work with .17 and .25 in
> the alpha 11 of SuSE.   It is a pita, to be sure, but I am no happily
> running a 2.5TB raid5 with that controller under SuSE 10.3.
> As to conversion:   I suspect that it is a real PITA to try.   The
> formats are entirely different and you have to have a small boot
> partition in order to load the drivers for the software raid.   I tried
> and gave up on that idea, at least until RR decides to actually support
> their controllers under Linux the way they do for Microsloth.
>
> I suspect the 172x controller will play out the same way as the 174x
> controller did as I believe they use the same chipset, the main
> difference being how they handle the physical interface, eg, number of
> ports, etc.

Well, there are differences but I do believe the basic functions are the same.
The README file in the source directory talks about running "make oldconfig" and
"make dep" under the kernel source directory. I am compiling the driver against
kernel 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 and "make oldconfig" went OK but "make dep" did not
saying: *** Warning: make dep is unnecessary now. Further I should check
modversions.h for a certain line. However, this file is not found in the kernel
source.

Nevertheless I ran make under the driver source and got:

[root at epohost linux]# make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.15-80.fc7-i686
ARCH=i386
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.15-80.fc7-i686'
   CC [M]
/downloads/RocketRaid/source/rr172x-linux-src-v1.0/product/rr1720/linux/.build/os_linux.o
/downloads/RocketRaid/source/rr172x-linux-src-v1.0/product/rr1720/linux/.build/os_linux.c:
In function ‘os_sd_changed’:
/downloads/RocketRaid/source/rr172x-linux-src-v1.0/product/rr1720/linux/.build/os_linux.c:315:
error: implicit declaration of function ‘scsi_device_cancel’
make[2]: ***
[/downloads/RocketRaid/source/rr172x-linux-src-v1.0/product/rr1720/linux/.build/os_linux.o]
Error 1
make[1]: ***
[_module_/downloads/RocketRaid/source/rr172x-linux-src-v1.0/product/rr1720/linux/.build]
Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.15-80.fc7-i686'
make: *** [rr172x.ko] Error 2

So clearly the compile procedure does not work. Have you had the same bad
experience and been clever enough to overcome the problem? I'll be happy to hear
if you have a way out otherwise I'll have to work with highpoint to get the
problem resolved.

--
Erik.