Regular RHES 5.2 update broke raid setup...

Bas Mevissen abuse at basmevissen.nl
Wed Nov 26 11:29:51 UTC 2008

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

>> I'll fix the
>> server tonight (CET) and report eventual issues here.
>
> Please do.

(a little off-topic here)

Well, the server is restored. Unfortunately, there was a second problem.
The root partition is identified by a label. So /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3
have the label "/". When the mirror raid is activated, the raid set
partition /dev/mapper/ddf1_XXXp1 obviously gets that label.

Previously, when trying to mount "LABEL=/", only /dev/mapper/ddf1_XXp1
was discovered and the "/" labels of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 were not.

But that behaviour has changed recently. Now the system found label "/"
at /dev/sda1 and tried to mount /dev/sda1. This fails because /dev/sda1
is already in a raid set. So the system didn't boot...

You might wonder what the use of this setup was. The reason is simple:
when the raid or one of the disks would fail, it would always find a
label "/" and at least boot and work properly until you have time to fix
the raid set.

Does this change in behaviour ring a bell to someone? I guess it has
something to do with the recent lvm2 update. But that needs further
investigation.

Anyway after "some" swearing in the middle of the night, everything is
running fine again.

Regards,

Bas.
(oh, and I hate Supermicro's IPMI implementation. It keeps losing its
connection over the internet)