Intel Storage Manager Raid 5 support

Antti Mäkelä zarhan at cs.tut.fi
Tue Oct 7 08:28:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Peter de Groot wrote:

> When I do an dmraid -l, it says that only raid 0 and 1 are supported for
> isw, which I am
> presuming is the correct device for this fake-raid setup ??

   Follow the instructions in THIS bug:

   I used that to boot up Ubuntu LiveCD and installed Gentoo :) Anyway, the
key part is this (for amd64, for x86, it's there too).

sudo su
echo "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy universe" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update; apt-get install dmraid
cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/md
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/14522732/dm-raid45.ko-amd64
mv dm-raid45.ko-amd64 dm-raid45.ko

Edit /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.dep and add
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/md/dm-raid45.ko: /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko

dmraid -ay

Then you can mount your raid5 volumes just fine.

Again, this is partially due to the fact that the patches here expect
dm-raid4-5.ko, not dm-raid45.ko (even though Thomas Backlund on this list
said that he's never had this issue - so not sure why this isn't being
addressed).

--
- Antti Mäkelä - http://www.cs.tut.fi/~zarhan - zarhan at cs.tut.fi -
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly