Dmraid development status - 1.0.0rc15?

Antti Mäkelä zarhan at cs.tut.fi
Fri Sep 5 21:52:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Antti Mäkelä skrev:
>>    As with the 2.6.24 patch, I had to do a find/replace to replace all
>> instances of "dmraid4-5" to "dmraid45" since otherwise it complains
>> # dmraid -ay
>> ERROR: device-mapper target type "raid45" not in kernel
>>
>>    Otherwise, seems to work.
>>

> That's weird...
> I have never had to do that...
>
> Are you using it built-in or as module ?

   For my self-compiled kernel, built-in. This actually seemed *very*
common problem, see e.g.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/220493/
   (the comments actually helped me a lot when I tried getting Gentoo
installed and Intel RAID5 going).

   Comment 5

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/220493/comments/8

happens to mention that there's been a rename of the module -
device-mapper/dmraid/something is expecting dm-raid45 but module is
dm-raid4-5.

   Anyway, in the case of Ubuntu liveCD, I used the instructions in comment
16 to be able to mount my raid volumes - and in that case, the module name
is dm-raid45, not 4-5.

--
- Antti