Strange ATARAID format?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 22:55:39 UTC 2009

Martin Sandaas wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> That did the trick...
> I used "dmraid -f via -rE" to remove the via meta-data completely (as it
> must be from my previous motherboard).
>
> But another question popped up as a result of this:
> Does this mean that hardware is irrelevant?  That I could use the VIA setup
> on any of the supported controllers?

It means that hardware is irrelevant to dmraid.  You don't even need a
supported raid hardware for dmraid to access the disks.  In other words,
you can plug your disks into any old standard sata/ide system and get
your data with dmraid.  The correct hardware is still required for bios
support to boot from the array of course, as well as by the Windows drivers.