cannot recover data, raid problem

enid vx enidv11 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 09:20:57 UTC 2009

Hello to all,
I have a server system which is configured with raid5 software (mdadm) . It
is composed by 4 HDD SCSI each 37GB.
I have installed on it RedHat Linux 9, in the default configuration (so
/boot a separate partition and the other ones with LVM)

My problem is that one of the partitions configured with raid 5 (Linux raid
autodetect) i believe that it is on degraded or faulty state,

my system does boot up but it shows on the screen "Kernel panic , cannot
find initrd"

I have very sensible data in there, and the problem is that I didn't make a
backup. I want to just retrieve some of the data files there.

I managed to boot into the rescue mode with CD1 of RH9 and the commands
which I tried to do:
# mdadm --examine --scan /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 >
/etc/mdadm.conf
#mdadm -A -s
#cat /proc/mdstat  --->>> it showed the raid array but only with three
partitions exactly /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

I have lvm so I entered:
#vgchange -a y vol0
#mount /dev/vol0/lv0 /mnt/lv0    -->> which I think is the / partition, and
I couldn't copy my files (not all of them but the important ones),

it gave some I/O errors in copying (transfering with scp in another server).

so I gave:
#fsck /dev/vol0/lv0 and responded with Y (yes) to all of the questions (a
huge number of inode problems)

and now again I can't copy my files.... :-(

My question is how can I recover my files, is there another way?

Your help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance.