Partition Filename Number Mismatch with Minor Number

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:38:27 UTC 2009

Luca Berra wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 02:44:47PM -0600, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>> QUESTION
>> ========
>>
>> 1) Would this problem be considered a bug?
>>
>>    It would seem to me that the partition minor numbers should match
>>    the last number of the partition filename.  That is, at least when
>>    using the following formula:
>>
>>     last number of partition filename ==
>>          partition minor number % device minor number
>
> i'd say it can be considered a bug in libparted
>
> L.

Thank you for the response Luca.

I had to think on this one for a while.

In the case where a /dev/mapper device name ends in number, there exists
more than one way that each partition will be named.

Command   Sample Partition #1 Name in /dev/mapper Directory
dmraid    isw_cjbdddajhi_Vol01
kpartx    isw_cjbdddajhi_Vol0p1

Based on the fact that there might be more than one name, I assume that
more than one partition minor number will be required.  Using this
logic, libparted would the be tool that would need to handle this situation.

Regards,
Curtis