replace one disk in isw RAID1 array

Ian Stakenvicius, Aerobiology Research ian at aerobiology.ca
Wed Dec 1 17:16:39 UTC 2010

OK.  That, as far as I know, is not sufficient.  DMRAID allows the
kernel to set up raid devices based on the metadata that is on the
drives, but that metadata will not exist on the new drive, you have to
add it first (in the BIOS, most likely).  I would recommend rebooting
and entering the BIOS's raid management tool, and adding the new drive
to the array there.  It might let you do it without rebuilding the
array, but it might not.

I'm pretty sure that "dmraid -R" just triggers a rebuild procedure -- in
your case (ie with RAID1), it re-synchronizes the two drives.  But AFAIK
it won't set up a blank drive, ie, it won't create the proper metadata
on an uninitialized drive.