experimenting with dmraid - disk status

Sandra Escandor sescandor at evertz.com
Thu Apr 28 13:30:07 UTC 2011

Hello,

I was doing a bit of experimenting with dmraid. What I have done is to
create a raid0+1 array, and then physically pull one of the disks out. I
then use the command "dmraid -n" to look at the metadata on the member
disks. I notice that the member disk listed by the output that has the
specific serial number of the disk that I pulled, whose status I expect
to be different from the other disks listed, still has the same status
as the other still physically plugged in. (i.e disk[0].status: 0x53a is
shown for all of the disks, even the one that I pulled out). Is this
normal?

The following is the output of "dmraid -V":

dmraid version: 1.0.0.rc16 (2009.09.16) shared

dmraid library version:  1.0.0.rc16 (2009.09.16)

device-mapper version: 4.13.0

Thanks for clarifying,

Sandra