HPA and dmraid

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue Feb 8 20:09:27 UTC 2011

You should always set a subject when sending email.

On 2/5/2011 11:19 PM, Anthony B wrote:

> ata1.00: HPA unlocked: 976771055 -> 976773168, native 976773168

Unfortunately when the libata transition happened, Ubuntu decided to
unlock the HPA by default, because there was a bug in the old ide driver
that did the same.  Some work has been under way lately to correct this
issue upstream by having the kernel only unlock the HPA automatically if
it is required to access a defined partition.

> Nice, everything has fallen into place now. I know why my disk would
> only be detected as part of the array after power cycling and why
> dmraid wouldn't detect it but, my array is broken and i want ALL my
> bytes back. All i have to do is re-enable hpa at the right place to
> get the raid working again and tell the kernel at boot not to mess
> with hpa. But like i say MY BYTES AND I WANT THEM BACK.

Yep, that's what you need to do.