List of chipsets supported?

Thomas Jackowski thomas+lists.redhat.ataraid at jackowski.de
Mon Jan 3 23:42:14 UTC 2011

Hello Harry,

I am using a AMD SB850 Southbridge on my Asrock 870 Extreme3 and its
RAID functionallity.

So the Setup in the RAID BIOS is fine. But I have problems with the
proper detection with dmraid and boot scripts which depend on the output
of dmraid resulting in boot failure.

So here is the output of the detection (this is a RAID 10):
# dmraid -r
/dev/sdd: pdc, "pdc_cficbgcda-1", stripe, ok, 1953124992 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdc: pdc, "pdc_cficbgcda-1", stripe, ok, 1953124992 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdb: pdc, "pdc_cficbgcda-0", stripe, ok, 1953124992 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sda: pdc, "pdc_cficbgcda-0", stripe, ok, 1953124992 sectors, data@ 0

# dmraid -s -s pdc_cficbgcda
*** Active Superset
name   : pdc_cficbgcda
size   : 3906249984
stride : 128
type   : raid10
status : ok
subsets: 2
devs   : 4
spares : 0
--> Active Subset
name   : pdc_cficbgcda-0
size   : 3906249984
stride : 128
type   : stripe
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0
--> Active Subset
name   : pdc_cficbgcda-1
size   : 3906249984
stride : 128
type   : stripe
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0

If you activate your RAID with "dmraid -ay" it will activate your RAID
sets and create devices which are usable. But that's all. It won't work
to manage your RAID sets like rebuild etc.

BTW, if you want to use the RAID with Ubuntu, then you have to trick the
installer by e.g. creating LVM partitions (because the Ubuntu installer
invokes a script to detect your RAID sets with dmraid and this will
definitly fail). Also you have to modify the dmraid-activate script
(which will be added into initramfs) by adding "dmraid -ay" somewhere in
the script, so your RAID set will be activated during boot,

I would appreciate SB850 support in dmraid :)

Bye, Thomas