using dmraid to recover data from a isw_raid_member from recovered disks images

Ian Stakenvicius, Aerobiology ian at aerobiology.ca
Wed May 28 13:58:02 UTC 2014

On 28/05/14 04:40 AM, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think this is the right mailinglist for dmraid?
>
> I made disk images with dd from to harddrives and made a copy for testing.
>
> losetup /dev/loop0 sdd1Z-copy
> losetup /dev/loop1 sddSN-copy
>
> blkid /dev/loop*
> /dev/loop0: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
> /dev/loop1: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
>
> But how do I use dmraid to assamble the array? dmraid -ay doesnt find
> the devices?
>
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/b222c2e8/
>
> # dmraid --version
> dmraid version:		1.0.0.rc16 (2009.09.16) shared
> dmraid library version:	1.0.0.rc16 (2009.09.16)
> device-mapper version:	4.27.0
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jelle de Jong

I expect that this isn't possible -- dmraid works on "biosraid" , that
is, bios-exposed raid metadata.  Since /dev/loop* is entirely a linux
kernel construct (no bios), dmraid won't do anything.

That said, I also recall that isw-based bios raid is actualy implemented
through 'mdraid' (ie, manageable via mdadm) now, isn't it?