[augeas-devel] ANNOUNCE: Augeas 0.0.8

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 17:29:24 UTC 2008

Last night I released Augeas 0.0.8

New and noteworthy things:

      * Completely rewrote the schema language, which now is a subset of
        ML
      * Public API now accesses the tree using XPath-like path
        expressions to distinguish between sibling nodes with the same
        label.
      * Schema for grub.conf, other schemas rewritten in the new
        language and simplified a little to flatten the tree since we
        have XPath expressions now
      * aug_ls removed from the public API, since it's the same as
        aug_match with a path ending in "/*"
      * Python bindings (contributed by Harald Hoyer)

Downloads available from http://augeas.net/

Next steps are to get to a Augeas 0.1.0. In my mind, the criteria for
that are

      * Bless public API as stable and commit to supporting it
        perpetually. One thing I'd like to do before then is to merge
        aug_get and aug_exists into one call. Some real-life experience
        with using Augeas would be hugely helpful for this.
      * Make it clear which schemas are stable and are part of the API
        that we won't change.

Of course, everything else on the todo list (or anything beyond that) is
up for grabs.