[augeas-devel] Similar model based configuration manager

Dominique Dumont dominique.dumont at hp.com
Fri Apr 25 15:56:01 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> writes:

> It depends on how tight you want to make the model; if you want
> Augeas to have a close understanding of which options go with what
> fs, then yes, that's a lot more work than just processing the syntax
> of /etc/fstab.

Yes this is where Config::model (and MountManager) have different
goals than Augeas.

> Having the precision to preserve comments and formatting details is
> one of the big headaches in Augeas, but I think that's needed to
> make a convincing config editing tool; especially, if it should
> remain possible to edit those files by other means, too.

Sys admin will love it.

> I'd appreciate if you gave the way sshd_config is exposed in Augeas
> a quick once over (just fire up augtool and do 'print
> /files/etc/ssh/sshd_config') - I'd be very curious to hear if that
> would be good enough for Config::Model. If you want to dig deeper,
> the mapping is in lenses/sshd.aug (with tests in
> lenses/tests/test_sshd.aug)

I'll have a look and keep you posted.

>> Is Augeaus able to detect wrong keyword entered through Augeas shell ?
>
> Yes (modulo bugs ;) What is considered wrong depends on how the file is
> modelled; e.g. whether the corresponding schema description (in a .aug
> file) lists all the settings that are valid in sshd_config, or just
> recognizes all lines of a certain format.

Understood. I've already spent quite a lot of time describing all the
parameters of sshd_config and it's not over yet...

Cheers

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they