[augeas-devel] Lenses documentation

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:40:18 UTC 2008

Hi there,

There are more and more lenses written. Now I think we need a standard way
of documenting them. I'm thinking of a POD-like syntax which could used
within the comments in lenses, and would allow to produce doc for each lens,
or request the doc from the API, like:

augtool> doc Dput.lns
"We use a standard INI File lens here"
let lns = IniFile.lns section comment
augtool> doc Dput.section
"We use an INI File section with labels, since '/' is allowed in section
names"
let section = IniFile.record title entry comment
augtool> doc Dput.filter
"Apply to dput config files"
let filter = blah blah
augtool> doc Dput
"Dput is a standard INI File lens which allows to parse dput config files
blah blah blah
more sections and explanations on how to use...
blah blah
Author, blah blah
"

The idea behind this is for users to easily get documentation about lenses
without having to read the code.

Raphael