[augeas-devel] Relicensing under the LGPLv3

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 18:14:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:30 +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > I am thinking about relicensing Augeas under the LGPLv3, one of the
> > reasons being that I want to use at least one gnulib module
> > (canonicalize_file_name) that is only available under the LGPLv3.
> >
> > As far as I understand the matter, there should be little impact on the
> > users of Augeas, in particular what can be linked against libaugeas, but
> > IANAL, and I'd like to hear from others before I take that step.
> >
> > So, any comments ?
>

> http://gplv3.fsf.org/dd3-faq mentions that you can release a LGPLv2.1
> project that _use_ a LGPv3 library.
>
> So moving Augeas to LPGv3 is not necessary. (keeping in mind that IANAL)

Unfortuantely, the way gnulib works, I am not linking to it, I am
actually incorporating code from it, so that the combined result has to
be under pretty much the same license as the routines I incorporate from
gnulib - so far, I've only used LGPLv2.1+ code, canonicalize_file_name
would be the first LGPLv3+ bit.