[augeas-devel] Renaming a node

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:25:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:47 PM, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 09:38 +0200, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> > * Using another name for the node:
> >
> > e.g.
> >    /files/path/to/my/file/c_field = "value"
> >
> >   This also fixes the flag issue, since the field name is different.
>
> Yes, that would probably be the most usable way to do this (maybe prefix
> the field name with a '.' or similar)

Great! I think it might really be the best way.

> >  To comment/uncomment here would mean to rename the field, if
> > possible. Something that would look like :
> >
> >  mv /files/path/to/my/file/c_field /files/path/to/my/file/field
> >
> >   I don't know how hard it would be to get to such a possibility in
> > Augeas.
>
> It wouldn't be hard at all; the main issue would be to make sure that
> you can specify very precisely where the target is in relation to its
> siblings.
>
> I am thinking that the best way to achieve that is by allowing the
> target of the move to exist; in that case, the target will be deleted
> from the tree and the source be moved into its place.
>
> If the target does not exist yet, it is created by appending to the list
> of its siblings.
>
> How does that sound ?

Well as I am thinking of how "mv" would work, it would actually make sense
to have it be a combination of a cp and a rm, since it could be useful to
have a "cp" command to duplicate a node. And since "rm" already exists, I
guess it wouldn't be hard to code rm as a sequence of "cp" and "rm".

What do you think?

Raphael