[augeas-devel] gnulib

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Jun 18 22:05:02 UTC 2008

Nicolas Valcarcel <nvalcarcel at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>         I've been testing and playing with augeas and it's really cool!
> I will try to work on it in the short time after i get used to it and
> get it as backed of a project i have in hands [1], for that i'm
> packaging it for ubuntu and i have noticed you are including gnulib on
> the source package and i was wondering why is it there and if it is
> really needed to be there or i can drop it and just use it as build
> dependency?

I advise you not to to do that.
First of all, unless Ubuntu's snapshot of gnulib
is less than about 10 days old, then it won't work at all.

Consider all of the other packages (including coreutils)
that use gnulib.  Do their maintainers consider making
gnulib a build dependency?  I certainly hope not.

gnulib is (deliberately) not like other libraries.