[augeas-devel] Adding new lenses

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 16:26:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:59 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Any way to expose that via the API? I could envision creating a ruby
> program which provides a set of lenses.. and setting that dynamically
> w/o the need for env variables.

Yeah, that would be worthwhile; which reminds me; there's really too
different ways that Augeas can be used: (1) as a standalone tool that
edits some file based on a custom lens description (2) as a generic
system service that uses a set of predefined lenses to make most of the
system's configuration accessible, and in a way that you can rely is the
same across a big swath of systems.

So far, I've been more thinking about the second use, though I
definitely need to work more on making the first a little easier.

In your scenario, would you want Augeas to just load your lens
description or would you also be interested in accessing any stock
descriptions that come with Augeas ?