[augeas-devel] The save does nothing

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Sun May 18 04:45:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 23:13 +0300, makkalot at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm going to write i a tool in python for augeas but actually couldnt get the
> things properly :)

Cool .. out ofcuriosity, what will the tool do ?

> followed the things from quick tour but when i try "save" nothing happens,
> where should i see the new files ? under $AUGEAS_ROOT or what ?

Looking at the tour, it could be a little clearer on how to invoke
augtool: you should invoke it as 'augtool -b'. That makes augtool
overwrite the original file with the new version, and save the original
in a file with extension '.augsave' right next to it (i.e., in the same
directory) If you just run 'augtool' without any flags, it will just
change the file in place.

If you still have trouble getting augtool to make changes, post how you
invoke augtool (ie., the exact command line) and the commands you issued
inside augtool.