[augeas-devel] Augeas on OSX

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Sat May 24 22:48:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 20:28 -0700, Rizwan Kassim wrote:
> Sorry, missed it when you suggested that I reference this earlier.
> gnulib/lib/argz.c has an lgpl implementation of the argz functions
> gnulib/lib/strndup.c does not have a lgpl implementation of strndup. (it's gpl.)
>
> I made some autoconfig changes for the strndup changes, should I just
> replicate those and submit a patch for argz (and save you the trouble
> of doing it)?

I made some headway yesterday in pulling in pieces of gnulib - I'd like
to stick with that as the source for anything needed to make augeaws
build on other platforms. As Jim pointed out, strndup is also LGPL.

I've replicated the gnulib setup from libvirt, but after importing the
regex and strndup modules, I am stuck on an error produced by automake:

  gnulib/lib/Makefile.am:33: @LTALLOCA@ used but `LTALLOCA' is undefined

Anyway, one thing that will need addressing in form of real code changes
in Augeas is the uses of glibc's open_memstream (I think most uses are
in builtin.c) That code needs to be rewritten (hint,hint) to write to
strings instead of FILE* - I don't think there's a similar facility
outside of glibc.