[augeas-devel] Augeas save does not create directory when needed

Dominique Dumont dominique.dumont at hp.com
Thu Nov 20 12:25:10 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort <lutter at redhat.com> writes:
>> That's correct for ssh. For more complex configuration (like apache),
>> creating a directory on the fly may be required.
>
> How exactly did you run into this ?

Actually, I ran into this while testing the integration of the
graphical sshd_config editor (based on Config::Model) and Augeas (with
the sshd lens)

My test case did not provide the directory structure and I expected
Augeas to create the missing directories.  I considered that it would
be a good thing for /etc directories.

Obviously I did not think this through. Your arguments convinced me to
be more cautious when creating directories. Thanks for the inputs.

> On a fully installed system, it hardly ever happens that a new file
> has to be created, let alone directories. Even for Apache configs,
> the Apache package lays down the directories for config files.

You're right. Augeas behavior makes sense and may not be a problem for
real config. I'll now have to think what this means for
Config::Model...

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they