[augeas-devel] ANNOUNCE: Augeas 0.3.1

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 23:31:12 UTC 2008

I am pleased to announce the release of Augeas 0.3.1; it has been much
longer than I'd like since the last release, and this release contains
many more changes than is betrayed by the small change in version
numbers.

There has been a tremendous amount of activity both in enhancing
existing lenses and in writing new ones. I have tried to keep track of
all the contributors in the NEWS - if you sent a patch and didn't get
credit for it, please remind me (gently ;) With that much activity in
lens-writing, I feel that we need to figure out a way to indicate which
lenses we consider 'finished' and which ones we consider 'experimental',
so that users know where changes in the tree are likely.

The release can be downloaded from:

Tarball: http://augeas.net/download/augeas-0.3.1.tar.gz
Fedora RPM's are making their way through the build system

Detailed NEWS:

  - Major performance improvement when processing huge files, reducing
    some O(n^2) behavior to O(n) behavior. It's now entirely feasible
    to manipulate for example /etc/hosts files with 65k lines
  - Handle character escapes '\x' in regular expressions in compliance
    with Posix ERE
  - aug_mv: fix bug when moving at the root level
  - Fix endless loop when using a mixed-case module name like
    MyMod.lns
  - Typecheck del lens: for 'del RE STR', STR must match RE
  - Properly typecheck the '?' operator, especially the atype; also
    allow '?' to be applied to lenses that contain only 'store', and
    do not produce tree nodes.
  - Many new/improved lenses
    * many lenses now map comments as '#comment' nodes instead of just
      deleting them
    * Sudoers: added (Raphael Pinson)
    * Hosts: map comments into tree, handle whitespace and comments
             at the end of a line (Kjetil Homme)
    * Xinetd: allow indented comments and spaces around "}" (Raphael Pinson)
    * Pam: allow comments at the end of lines and leading spaces
           (Raphael Pinson)
    * Fstab: map comments and support empty lines (Raphael Pinson)
    * Inifile: major revamp (Raphael Pinson)
    * Puppet: new lens for /etc/puppet.conf (Raphael Pinson)
    * Shellvars: handle quoted strings and arrays (Nahum Shalman)
    * Php: map entries outside of sections to a '.anon' section
           (Raphael Pinson)
    * Ldap: new lens for /etc/ldap.conf (Free Ekanayaka)
    * Dput: add allowed_distributions entry (Free Ekanayaka)
    * OpenVPN: new lens for /etc/openvpn/{client,server}.conf (Raphael Pinson)
    * Dhclient: new lens for /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (Free Ekanayaka)
    * Samba: new lens for /etc/samba/smb.conf (Free Ekanayaka)
    * Dnsmasq: new lens for /etc/dnsmasq.conf (Free Ekanayaka)
    * Slapd: new lens for /etc/ldap/slapd.conf (Free Ekanayaka)
    * Sysctl: new lens for /etc/sysctl.conf (Sean Millichamp)