[augeas-devel] Syslinux config file lens

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:48:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Matthew Palmer<matt at anchor.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:57:32PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 10:56 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>> > Finally got it doing everything I want!  Basically, this lens just manages
>> > the configuration for the syslinux family of bootloaders.  I personally only
>> > use it for our boot servers' pxelinux configs, but the Internets assure me
>> > that the format is the same for all of them.
>>
>> Very nice. A few questions:
>>
>> Do you insist on GPL for these files ? Augeas is licensed under LGPLv2+.
>> I don't think there are any practical differences for a lens, but there
>> has been some confusion in the past about lenses under GPL, which I'd
>> like to avoid.
>
> I really don't like the LGPL (and think it would have been better if the
> whole of Augeas were released under the GPL) but in the interests of keeping
> things comprehensible, I'll keep everything LGPL.

Just one note on this. I like GPL aswell, it's good for most programs,
but Augeas is a library, and its ambition is to provide a way to edit
config files on all kinds of UNIX systems. Now all UNIX systems do not
use the GPL for their programs. Just thinking about BSD for example ;)

Licensing under GPL would close the use of Augeas such that it would
make it harder for several UNIX platforms to adopt it, that would be
too bad.

Maybe that's not David's reason, but that's one I see ;)