[augeas-devel] Path and increasing identifiers

Matthew Palmer matt at anchor.net.au
Thu Dec 17 00:28:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:23:42PM +0100, Tim Stoop wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM, David Lutterkort <lutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> > The only place where you care about those numbered identifiers is when
> > you need to create new nodes - for that the whole 01, 02 etc. business
> > is an adequate solution.
>
> Yeah, but if you add them from within puppet, you'll need to keep
> track of them or they could overlap. Unless I'm missing something?

I think you're missing something.  The '01', '02' type identifiers are only
valid for the life of a single Augeas transaction; in the next Augeas
resource, what you called '01' will just be another number in the regular
sequence (since Augeas has reparsed the file and used it's own sequence
values).  Try it out in augtool, you'll see how it works.

- Matt