[augeas-devel] Re: [Puppet Users] Testing help for new Augeas Puppet provider which only executes if required

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 21:26:58 UTC 2009

David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:07 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> The issue is, will any changes made to the file by other types between
>> steps 3.3 and 5.1 be lost, and will that cause issues?
>
> Yes, they will. If you want to avoid that, you'd have to load the files
> again, make your changes and then save, i.e. the only differencce
> between using 0.3.6 and earlier is whether you check for actual changes
> or always assume there are some and tell Augeas to save (it'll not
> modify unchanged files anyway, you just can't find that out pre-0.3.6)
>
> David

so.. the next question this is if we attempt the model of not executing
unless changes are made at the initial scan, it is possible that some
other change between steps 3.3 and 5.1 would have caused a change to
occur. So... even if I reload there could be issues.

I think I am left with 3 issues:

1) Always have the Augeas Plugin execute (current state)
2) Always have it short circuit, and reload the files to limit data loss
(but not eliminate it)
3) Add a "force" or a "dont short circuit" option which makes it behave
like (1).

Opinions?

-- bk