[augeas-devel] Augeas regression ?

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 03:42:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 14:19 +0100, Louis Coilliot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sure this is odd. But I have 4 sandbox machines (el4-i386;
> el4-x86_64,el5-i386,el5-x86_64) for various testings, and since the
> upgrade it is fine with the 2 x el5 machines but broken with the 2 x
> el4.
>
> I get for all machines:
> augtool> print /augeas/root
> /augeas/root = "/"
>
> For el4, there isn't anything with ls /files or ls /files/*. The
> /augeas path is fine.
>
> Do you think of additional diags ?

Mysterious. What causes Aueas to read a file is that it is listed in the
transform of a lens - in the case of the Sshd module that filter lists
exactly /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

If you don't get any error nodes underneath /augeas/files, that means
that Augeas isn't even trying to read sshd_config. The most likely
reasons for that would be that it does't see sshd.aug on its load path
or that it is looking in the wrong root in the filesystem (that's what
my question about AUGEAS_ROOT was about)

You could try to strace 'augtool quit' and see if anything interesting
about sshd_config turns up. Other than that, check what differences
there are between the EL4 and EL5 machines.