[augeas-devel] Re: Feature request: apply a given lense to a given file.

Free Ekanayaka free at 64studio.com
Mon Jan 19 12:18:12 UTC 2009

Hi Robin,

|--==> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:09:40 -0800, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org> said:

  RLP> So, as an example, the php.aug lens (aka inifile.aug, basically)
  RLP> seems to work Just Fine on /etc/samhain/samhainrc; I can imagine
  RLP> some improvements, but it's probably good enough.

  RLP> It would be nice if I could tell augtool/the API (well, puppet
  RLP> really, but that'd come later) something to the effect of "apply
  RLP> this lense here to that file there; don't bother parsing anything
  RLP> else".  Saves the trouble of producing another essentially identical
  RLP> lense.

Yes, that'd be a handy feature in case the official augeas package
doesn't (yet) provide support for a specific configuration file, but
there's a lens actually working fine with it.

However I'd warn users to not misuse such a feature, and simply regard
it as last resort, possibly reporting the issue upstream, so that a
proper "incl" statement can be added in that lens' filter.

Ciao!

Free