[augeas-devel] Enhanced inittab lens

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 00:02:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 16:56 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:49:17PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 15:38 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > > Which, incidentally, isn't guaranteed to work if you've got more than
> > > 100000000 other inittab entries
> >
> > The best way to get unique labels when Augeas autgenerates numbered
> > labels (i.e., uses 'seq' in the lens) is to use labels that start with
> > '0', i.e. '01', '02' etc.
>
> Noted.  All the docs I've seen make use of large non-zero-prefixed numbers;
> as I notice them from now on, I'll do what I can to get them fixed.

Yeah, I initially talked about '10000' (because that's infinity in
TeX ;) until I realized that the '0 prefix' approach actually guarantees
that no clashes are possible.

> > You _can_ avoid
> > breakage by putting your favorite lenses (even ones replacing stock
> > lenses) into /usr/share/augeas/lenses - I recently changed the default
> > search path for lenses
> > to /usr/share/augeas/lenses:/usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist and only put
> > stock lenses into the latter directory.
>
> That's an *excellent* quick workaround for breakage; I've added it to the
> above change notice.

Should probably also be added to the Wiki ...

> It's language for specifying changes and pre-requisites is very rudimentary;
> the syntax is incompatible with those of augtool; and it doesn't
> automatically verify if the changes specified are actually necessary, which
> results in an awful lot of duplication of code.

All these should have been addressed in recent versions (at least in git
HEAD) - if not, it would be great to have bug reports against puppet for
them.

>   I write complete custom types
> (with an "Augeas-using type template" in the works) to make the changes I
> need, rather than try to work with the augeas puppet type.

Yeah, the augeas type is really just a way for people who don't want to
write custom types to do some things in the puppet manifest - I don't
think it's strong enough to do more complicated things; I'm already
amazed by the kinds of thigns people actually can do with that type.