[augeas-devel] sudoers lens not working

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Fri Mar 20 03:29:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:21:28PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 19:50 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > That means that augeas can't parse it.  Look under
> > "/augeas/files/etc/sudoers/" to see why, although I've gotta say
> > that Augeas' parse errors are generally entirely unhelpful:
>
> Point well taken ... any suggestion for better error messages ?

Good lord no.  :D

I'd have to understand the internals of the parser for that, and I'm
afraid I'm a pure end-user on this one.

> > augtool> ls /augeas/files/etc/sudoers/error/
> > pos = 2587
> > message = Short iteration
> >
> > It's the one thing I don't like about it.  At least give me a line
> > number.  :(
>
> Augeas doesn't know about lines - it's all about matching opaque
> regexps. The 'pos' gives you the number of characters into the
> string where parsing failed.

That's fine, but it means that most people, with normal text
editors, have no idea where in the file the problem is, and no real
way to find out.

As I say, this is the *only* thing I don't like about Augeas.  That
was intended as a compliment, promise.  :)

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something