[augeas-devel] sudoers lens not working

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Fri Mar 20 13:26:43 UTC 2009

Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> That means that augeas can't parse it.  Look under
> "/augeas/files/etc/sudoers/" to see why, although I've gotta say
> that Augeas' parse errors are generally entirely unhelpful:
>
> augtool> ls /augeas/files/etc/sudoers/error/
> pos = 2587
> message = Short iteration

Okay, now we're getting somewhere!  I get a similar message with a different
offset:

augtool> ls /augeas/files/etc/sudoers/error/
pos = 1848
message = Short iteration

> It's the one thing I don't like about it.  At least give me a line
> number.  :(

Sometimes the old tools are still the best ones =)

[root at trapeze etc]# dd if=/etc/sudoers bs=1 skip=1848 | head -10
Defaults    env_keep = "COLORS DISPLAY HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC KDEDIR \
                   LS_COLORS MAIL PS1 PS2 QTDIR USERNAME \
                   LANG LC_ADDRESS LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE LC_IDENTIFICATION \
                   LC_MEASUREMENT LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NAME LC_NUMERIC \
                   LC_PAPER LC_TELEPHONE LC_TIME LC_ALL LANGUAGE LINGUAS \
                   _XKB_CHARSET XAUTHORITY"

## Next comes the main part: which users can run what software on
## which machines (the sudoers file can be shared between multiple
## systems).

If I remove the escapes and put it all on one line, everything works
perfectly, so I guess that the lens can't handle the multiline string.

Is this expected behaviour, or should I file a bug report?

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken