[augeas-devel] Just general praise.

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 04:38:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 21:42 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Everything I've asked for out of Augeas has been added, often with
> alacrity.
>
> I just want to say how amazingly cool that is; I've worked with some
> really user-hostile open source authors, making the contrast all the
> more enjoyable.  Thank you so much.

Thanks so much for this. I am really glad to hear that you are using
Augeas and find it helpful.

One thing I would be really interested in is to learn how you and others
are using Augeas, what you do with it, what you find its shortcomings
etc. Constructive criticism is incredibly helpful in improving Augeas -
the work I've been doing on netcf[1] has sparked a lot of the things
I've done recently, in particular to make the C API less clunky.

One thing that has become painfully clear to me with that is that there
is a real need for a bidirectional tree language, i.e. something that
would let me implement the guts of netcf by writing to some location in
the Augeas tree (say /app/netcf) and bidirectionally transform between
that and the various files that ultimately need to be touched to
configure bonds, bridges etc. Since that's a little more work than I can
take on right now, I kinda wallpapered over it with two XSLT
stylesheets, but that's really a hack.

David

[1] http://people.redhat.com/dlutter/netcf/ I'll soon move it to
https://fedorahosted.org/netcf/