[augeas-devel] Error reporting API

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 16:54:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 16:11 +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
> What I was talking about above is that some error details are reported
> inside the tree (e.g., details of why a load/save failed for each file
> where there was a problem)
>
> I agree though that I should just clean that out for each API call, too.

Scratch that - that's complete nonsense. Since you use normal API
functions to look at those error nodes, clearing them out automatically
would make them invisible, e.g.

        augtool> load  # something goes wrong, and creates /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error
        augtool> print /augeas//error

The print won't show anything if we clean out all error nodes in the
tree on API entry.