[augeas-devel] Minimization effect on typecheking

Francis Giraldeau Francis.Giraldeau at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Apr 30 16:40:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

I did a few experiments to try to see if we minimize automatons before
computing the costly fa_ambig_example, if we could get better
performance.

It seems yes. Here are the results for a sample httpd lens :

test      | time(s) | peak mem(bytes)
normal    | 8.12    | 142640
minimized | 6.59    | 30128

Even while reducing the automaton takes a while, it seems that overall
performance is better. On this lens, it gives 18% better time and 78%
reduction in peak memory.

I will run it on all lenses to verify that performance improvement is
not a special case because of the lens I'm using.

Have a nice day,

Francis